Punjabi Egg Masala

Having written about patience in so many blog posts of mine, when I find any slide that fits in, I love to save it. Simple... I am trying to teach myself sabr and by reading, and re-reading about it only reaffirms me that what I am doing is correct - that nothing comes if you don't wait, and it's always His Will, nothing else...


Each time I make eggs, I love to look out for different varieties of making it. Here is one that we absolutely loved with our chapathis for dinner. The ground masala gave a lovely flavor to this curry. The only matter is to make sure that the masala is cooked thoroughly. The tricky part with recipes that have raw ground masala is that we get slightly impatient while cooking and end up cooking it for less time. I always make it a point to keep such gravies on low flame and keep stirring every five minutes till I see the oil floating on the top. Kind of lets you know that it has got cooked... You will get to see beautiful looking red patches here and there on top of the curry, irrespective of how little oil you use. Off to the way I made this delicious curry...

Punjabi Egg Masala
Serves 4-6
Recipe adapted from here


Ingredients:

6 eggs, hard boiled, peeled and slit

For grinding:
2 onions, chopped
1 small pc ginger
3 cloves garlic
3 green chillies
2 cloves
1 small pc cinnamon
3 tomatoes, chopped

For masala:
1 tbsp oil
1 bay leaf
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp coriander powder
Salt to taste
1 tbsp kasuri methi
1 tsp garam masala powder

Method:

Grind onions to cinnamon into a smooth paste by adding little water. Grind the tomatoes separately.

In a saucepan, heat oil. Splutter cumin seeds and bay leaf. Add the sliced onion and saute for a minute. Add the onion paste and cook for 5 minutes or till oil floats on the top. Add in the masala powders and stir. Now add the tomato paste along with salt and cook till the mixture is cooked and oil floats on top. Add water as required- I added around a cup of water to make the masala thick.

Finally add in the eggs, kasuri methi and garam masala powder, stir well. Keep on simmer for around 5 minutes. Serve hot with rice or rotis - tastes awesome with bread as well!

Labels: , ,