Simple Banana Bread

What does a year end mean to you? To many of us, it is a day of ranting at how much we have missed our resolutions, and how we didn't do this and we didn't do that. I was never somebody who would look back and think of the days that went by. But the past two years have changed me a lot, and Alhamdulillah, I believe it is for good. The end of last year was a start to a time where things looked very uncertain, but Alhamdulillah, I am glad that things are much better than expected. Every day was lived in anticipation and perspiration and I have seen His Mighty Hands into a lot of events that happened over the year. There are times when I have sat and thought at how perfect His timing is in some matters that happened. When I have needed help, He gave it to me. When I needed uplifting, He lifted me up. And I am ever so faithful for all the signs that He has shown me, day in and day out. I am not even what I wanted to be - I still fall short in a big way of my duties towards Him. But slowly I am trying... because He has shown me that He is the Only One who can help me in case of any adversities, nobody else. Definitely, the 10 days of Umrah in February was a really awakening experience for me. This Ramadan was also a good period for a lot of reflection. I have bought about small changes in my schedules and activities and Alhamdulillah, I am able to somehow stick to those changes. But still, there is a lot to improve... Miles to go before I sleep, seriously... Three verses that I hold so closely to my heart nowadays:

He warns us:
"We have certainly created man into hardship" (Surah Al-Balad:4)

But He makes us calm:
"Allah does not burden a soul beyond that it can bear..." (Surah Al-Baqarah: part of 286)

And He assures us:
"Be not sad, surely Allah is with us." (Surah At-Taubah: 40)

Here is a beautiful article I would like to keep going back to again and again just to keep my mental equilibrium balanced!

Ending the year on a sweet note, and with something that I love - bananas!!! I have already posted so many banana bakes on the blog... This one is another one, that I really loved. First of all, it is damn easy to make, all you need to do is mix, mix and mix and pour into the pan, bake and wait till it cools amidst the awesome scent wafting in the kitchen. The last bake from my old kitchen was this one and it was a really befitting one I must say. This was really perfect for a cup of hot coffee and a lazy cold evening!

Simple Banana Bread
Makes a large loaf
Recipe adapted from here


Ingredients:

3 ripe bananas, mashed
1/3 cup (76 gm) butter, melted
1 tsp baking soda
A pinch of salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 large egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup walnuts, crushed (optional)


Method:

Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease and flour a small loaf pan and set aside.

In a bowl, combine the mashed banana and butter till well combined. Add the soda and salt and mix. Add in the sugar, egg and vanilla and mix well. Finally add in the flour and whisk without lumps. Fold in the walnuts.

Pour into the prepared pan and flatten surface. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes till skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Flip onto cooling rack and cool completely before slicing and serving!


So till we meet next year, InShaAllah... :)

Labels: , , , , , ,